Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dahl Soup


So I promised Louisa that I would post a recipe, so here I go. I took a very nice picture of it, but I am having technical difficulties getting it off my phone. Oh well. The photo I am using is from Flickr, but it seemed close enough. This soup is almost stew like and is very hearty. Very aromatic and comforting on a cold night.

This soup goes really well with some warmed up naan bread.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 1/4 pounds canned, chopped tomatoes drained (i used 2 small cans)
1 cup red lentils
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 1/4 cups coconut milk

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and saute the garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds more.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, red lentils, lemon juice, vegetable stock, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are tender and cooked.

Cook's Tip: Add small quantities of hot water to the pan while the lentils are cooking if they begin to absorb too much of the liquid.

No comments: