Sunday, August 23, 2009

Everyday Food Magazine - June 2009

** I wrote this post ages ago and never remembered to go back and add the pics and then publish it! Oops!

--------------
Clearly they publish these things faster than I can keep up with them -- trying the recipes or blogging about the issue! Here's a belated recap of the June 2009 issue.

I made Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables and decided it would be a go-to summer recipe for a quick and easy dinner. See I even remembered to take a picture:



I also tried their recipe for Strawberry Jam. I'd been meaning to make my own jam for awhile. It really is as easy as the recipe suggests. I scrimped on the sugar a bit and haven't missed it. I did break out my new (to me, hand-me-down from my mom) food processor to chop the strawberries and in my excitement of now owning the gadget I think I over processed a bit, but its still yummy and goes on my toast each morning.

So now, what I didn't get to:

The obvious in season fruit of the month was strawberries and they included a recipe for Strawberry Icebox Pie that looked easy and yummy.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but Emeril does a recipe or 2 in the magazine each month and this one's recipe was for Pork & Chorizo Burgers. I'm waiting to have a group of people over to make them.

Also flagged by me:

-Baked Onion Rings
-Salmon Cakes
-Sauteed Shrimp with Scallion Rice
-Jam Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
-Grilled Steak with Tomatoes and Scallions
-Spinach Phyllo Pie
-Roasted Eggplant Dip
-Honey Chipotle Glazed Ribs
-Jerk Chicken Wings
-Roasted Eggplant with Basil
-Almond & Orange Yogurt Cake
-Brownie Cookies

I promise the next EDF recap will have more recipes actually tried by me - I've already made more of a dent in it than the June issue. Plus - its a July / August issue so I have 2 months to work my way through it!

2 comments:

Louisa said...

Cool! The gnocchi look good. I've never made gnocchi, I should do it.

Louisa said...

I forgot to post a couple weeks ago when I made this gnocchi. It was really good! And I'm making it again tonight. I think I'm going to add even more zucchini so the proportion of zucchini to gnocchi is more even. Great find, Uma!