Monday, December 10, 2007

Veal Parmesan

I'd never even eaten veal parmesan before but today I made it and it turned out pretty good! I surprised myself this time and it's all thanks to Uma who gave me the idea and the instructions. I was pretty worried for a while there because I didn't know what cut of veal to get. Cutlets? Chops? I stood in front of the meat shelf for a good long while debating it. Finally I went with the cheaper one which had no bones and was called veal flank steak. When I got home I looked it up and read that it's not very common so I figured it must be terrible and that's why no one used it. But lo and behold it turned out just fine! Tasty even! Though the fluorescent orange oil in the picture makes it look kind of gross.

Question: Most of the recipes I looked up online said to first fry it (brown it) in a pan and then bake it. This seems to be standard protocol. Why do you have to do both? What is the point?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the browning makes it crispy on the outside. How long did you bake it for and at what temp? Sometimes you can achieve the same result by baking hot and fast, at like 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Was the veal breaded?

Uma said...

i'm not sure -- but I don't do it because it seems healthier without